When I first heard that animal print clothing and accessories were coming “back into style” I cringed. For some reason, in my mind I associate animal print with 1980’s tacky spandex pants, overly teased hair, and excessive amounts of bright make-up. This is a look that I don’t think anyone can pull off, except for maybe Peg Bundy. However, some of the latest trends aren’t “trailer park” at all. In fact, mixing an animal print piece in with an otherwise subdued ensemble can create an overall look of sophistication or just add fun to your wardrobe.
If you aren’t ready to plunge into the animal print pool but just want to get your toes wet, try wearing a sheath dress in a solid black, white, or red. Then mix in animal print accessories, such a zebra print belt and matching zebra print shoes. You could finish off the look with earrings or a bangle.
There are some very stylish animal print themed dresses available in a variety of color combinations. If you’re going to wear a boldly printed dress, keep the accessories and shoes simple by wearing them in a solid shade that matches the dress.
- Animal Print Dresses Under $100
- Purple Animal Print Peplum Dress
- Arden B. V-Neck Babydoll Dress
- Animal Print Cowlneck Dress
- Brown Draped One-Shoulder Dress
- Yellow Animal Instincts Safari Dress
- Pink Animal Knot Front Dress
When wearing an animal print skirt, try to pair it with a top in a solid but coordinating color and simple legwear. Use moderation when choosing matching animal print accessories because sometimes less really is more.
- Animal Print Skirts Under $100
- Hot Pink Tulip Skirt
- Asymmetrical Tiered Skirt
- Aqua Animal Print Silk Skirt
- Michael Kors Ocelot Skirt
Animal print tops and cardigans can be worn with jeans, dress pants, or skirts depending on whether you’re going to work or going out. I would stick with a bottom in a solid color or denim to avoid conflicting patterns or looking more costumey than fashionable.
- Animal Print Tops Under $100
- Blue Boxy Knit tee
- Michael Kors Off-The-Shoulder Peasant Top
- Arden B. Ruffle Chiffon Top
- Daytrip Animal Print Tank
- Parfait Animal Print Cardigan
- Blue or Yellow Animal Print Cardigan
- Arden B. One Shoulder Animal Print Top
- Lucky Brand Animal and Lace Cardigan
- Animal Print Bags Under $100
- Lucky Brand Cheetah Hobo
- Betsyville Animal Instinct Hobo
- Giraffe Print Double-Strap Bag at Target
- Betsey Johnson “The Satchel” in Pink Python
- Animal Print Shoes Under $100
- Hot Pink and Gray Guess Pumps
- N.Y.L.A. “Jacie” Leopard Print Pumps
- Converse Chuck Taylor Sequins Oxford
- Animal Talk by Naughty Monkey heel
- Naughty Monkey Space Invaders 2
- Naughty Monkey Chiller Patent Pumps (In red, tan, or black.)
I can’t stress how important it is to wear any print, especially an animal print, in moderation. You want to look like you were inspired by a zebra, not wearing a zebra costume. In other words, go wild…without going too wild!